Monday, August 25, 2008

Twilight, Thus Far

Today I read a review by What About Mom, about the Twilight series.

I am in the midst of reading the series (nearly at the point of no stopping in book 2). And because I hate surprises I had to read her review.

My take thus far, fun books, but not really written to a high level.

What do I mean by that?

Honestly, I don't really know because I wasn't an English major and I don't know too much about reviewing literature in the true sense. I just know Bella seems a little too odd... like she didn't feel like a real person to me... more like a created being whose chacteristics fit all to conveniently into the story line.

That being said, will I read the rest of the series? You bet. Will I read other books she writes? Probably, if they are available at the library.

Now my final thoughts about these books and their rampant popularity. It seems their has been a resurgence of reading lately. I know Meyer's books in no way approach the success of the famed Rowling, but it is interesting the number of people who seem to be reading, often for the first time in a long while.

I wonder if it is because these are written at a younger reading level? Are readers most comfortable reading books that are written at a 6th or 7th grade level? As those are the books I most often read, I hang my head only slightly as I ask that question. I love childrens and young adult books, and while they aren't stretching my mind to new heights the stories are quite imaginative.

2 comments:

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

Actually, I think she is catching up to Rowling. I read (on her site) that Breaking Dawn set the record for first day sales. So . . .

Good points!

Jamie Jo said...

Although I am actually resisting the Twilight series at the moment, I noticed some time ago that I gravitate to the children's book section constantly (library or bookstore). I have decided majoring in English only induced my love for YA books. Strange how that happens, huh? I'll let you know what I think when I finally cave and read Twilight (bound to happen sometime).
If you want to go younger than YA, try the Fablehaven series by Brendon Mull (yes, another BYU alumni, this one of Divine Comedy fame. We watched him all the time in our freshman year!)