Saturday, December 6, 2008

Some People Come Into Our Lives

Yesterday, I decided to email someone about a bookcase on Craigslist. It was kind of on a whim and I almost didn't do it. Turns out, the listing was from some good friends of ours. The email prompted them to invite us to dinner this weekend where we found out they are moving across the country. If I wouldn't have emailed on the listing, I might have missed the chance to get together with these friends, for what could be the last time before they move at Christmas.

These were great friends who happen to have a baby just a few months after us. We had some things in common and I always enjoyed the conversation when were together. I am quite sad to be losing them (but quite happy for the great chance their getting).

After dinner, Callie seemed okay for one more stop so we went to Borders to get some Christmas shopping done. While we were there we ran into the (only) other normal couple (there were some serious weirdos) from the childbirth class we took. Turns out we weren't the only ones who wasted the $65 in learning about the process only to have a non-optional C-section. What is it with all these breech babies?

Anyway, after we finished chatting with them we headed for home. Before we got to the car Jeff asked me what their names were. I have no clue, other than the baby is Emily. Jeff said why didn't you give them your blog address or ask their names to add them to facebook. I didn't know, other than the thought didn't occur to me until he brought it up. Then I was a little sad. If I would have at least gotten their names, or offered my number...

It was kind of strange in a way. I don't think about how I need to exchange numbers with people I run into who I went to high school with, but these people who I met for literally five, three hour classes, I can't get out of my head that I should have done more.

Maybe it is because I am losing a friend soon, but it feels like a missed chance. So, Emily's parents, if you are out there, drop me a line if you want to be friends and we can get together for pizza sometime.

1 comment:

Michelle Smiles said...

We struggle with this - we talk about wanting to make friends in this new town we've moved to but are horrible at following through when we find people that we like.

Hope you find Emily's parents!