Tuesday, March 11, 2008

We Got It, Yeah Baby We Got It!

On Friday, after I posted about the house we were hoping to get, a call came in from our agent. There were two serious bids and we were in the running. We were asked for our highest and best offer, so we made an addendum to our original offer to full asking price. Monday morning we found out we got it! We are so excited to be buying our first home. While we have gotten to this point before, this house is a much better fit for us. I had reservations from the beginning about the other house and this one just feels better.

It is kind of a funny story how we ended up backing out of the other house deal. Jeff and I were kind of at odds after we had accepted the offer for Asheboro. I didn't like several things about the house and he thought it was a little small, but we talked ourselves into it because it was going to be our first house and we would need to make sacrifices. All through the house buying process I had said that anything wrong with the heating and air conditioning it could be a deal breaker. Eventually, we found out the system was sabotaged by who ever was getting foreclosed on. The day before we found out the system was messed up I had looked at the listings again and the house across the street from the house we were in escrow for was up for sale. From the listing I could tell that it was 320 sq ft bigger and there was some updating done, and the lot was larger (nearly twice the size). It was listed for $9900 more than we were paying for the first house. I told Jeff about it and he was upset with me for looking when we were locked into a deal. The next day our agent brought us a whole bunch of paperwork to sign about the first house not being on a floodplain and not threatening any red bellied yellow toed salamanders and while she was there the sellers called and admitted to the huge HVAC problem. She said we can renegotiate the deal or walk away. Jeff left the decision to me and I told our agent about the new house I saw across the street. She agreed to preview it and called later to say we would love it. We saw it and did love it, and put in an offer right away. We walked away from the first house deal and I do feel like that is a blessing. The house we are in escrow for now is a much better fit for us!

As soon as I get into it again I will take some pictures to post for ya'all to see.

No comments: