Saturday, January 31, 2009

My Favorite NOT Holiday

One of my favorite pastimes is cooking. I think it started in college cooking Sunday dinners for which ever guys we could con into coming over. Then I picked something random I wanted to learn how to make just to say I could--Chocolate Cream Pie (from scratch, no Jello Pudding Mix or premade pie crust for me). I have no clue why I chose that, but I could guess some guy probably mentioned in passing that it was his favorite.

So back to the current NOT holiday. I think the Super Bowl is my favorite Sunday of the year. I make tons of totally not healthy stuff and I watch football and commercials at my in-laws house. They have a nice big flat screen TV and my father in law usually cooks some other delicious foods. Babies run around wild with all ten of us crammed into the family room together.

On the menu tomorrow:

Shasta Root Beer and Tiki Punch (because I don't have ads like TAMN)
Grilled Steak Kabobs
Red Grapes
Carrott Sticks & Celery
Hot Artichoke Dip
Pico De Gallo
Cowboy Nachos
Guacamole
Triscuits
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Mmmm, my mouth is watering thinking about it now.

What are you having for the NOT Holiday? Or do you miss this wonderful excuse to cook and eat?

PS - I used to feel guilty for watching this game (but I always still watched it), and then last year a leader from Salt Lake (not naming names to protect the somewhat innocent) was at our stake conference the week before the Superbowl, and he mentioned he and his family would be watching the game as usual, while his wife grilled ribs. And then he mentioned he was glad his wife was not traveling with him because she would be none too thrilled with his announcement from the pulpit...

4 comments:

jjstringham said...

That sounds like fun! I always think how fun it would be to organize a Superbowl party, but then when it comes down to it I forget what day it's on until the actual Sunday so it just gets treated like every other Sunday. Eat some nachos for me!

jme said...

I don't know how carrot sticks and nachos made it on the list of not healthy foods, but hey, more power to ya. I did not watch the game, as usual, because I do not have a TV. I do, however, have some tasty nachos...

Lorie said...

Sounds yummy! I figure as long as you are watching with your family, having a family Super Bowl party is okay! ;D

And I think I need to know what Tiki Punch is!!

Erin said...

I am so impressed with your menu! It all looks delicious.