Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Salsa!!!

Salsa is my all time favorite condiment. While most people consider it to be a condiment that is used to pep up chips or tacos, I have been known to eat it by the spoonful.

Salsa is so full of flavor and it packs a super nutritional punch without too many calories and no fat! The best salsa is fresh made. It really isn't too hard to make, and if I don't feel like making it, I buy it from the taquiera that is next to the grocery store. I can get a 16 oz container for less than a bottle of the store brand at the grocery store and it is about 1,000 times better than that stuff from a jar.

So you want to try to make some yourself? Well there are many variations, but here's my favorite way to make it.

15 oz can tomatoes (I use no salt added)
1 bunch green onions sliced
1-3 jalepenos
1-3 white/yellow peppers (They look like jalepenos just a different color)
1/4 - 1/2 bunch cilantro stems removed and chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste

1. Boil the jalepenos and the white/yellow peppers whole (use one for not too much heat and three for a lot) for about 20 minutes
2. Remove peppers from boiling water. Slice in half and remove seeds and membranes (you will want to wear gloves for that job, trust me your eyes will thank you). Slice peppers into small pieces.
3. Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste and enjoy with some Baked Tostitos or with a spoon. Yum!

What is your favorite condiment?

2 comments:

Traci said...

Is that the same recipe that Dave used to use? Someday maybe I'll try making salsa. That reminds me, Is Maria's Taco shop still around?

Laura said...

It is actually a little more mild than Dave's recipe. Since it uses green onions instead of yellow or red. As for Maria's Taco Shop, one of them has changed to something else and the other one is still the same, but it is all they way across town.